A recent immigration sweep by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents netted hundreds of individuals, but only about 30% of those detained were the original targets of the raid. The other 70% were detained following “ collateral arrests,” which simply means that the ICE agents found these people in addition to or instead of the person whom they originally were trying to arrest. Many of the immigrants who were caught up in the raids simply lived in the same neighborhood as a person whom ICE had targeted for arrest and detention. ICE officials identified the original targets of the raids to be criminals and gang members. According to acting ICE Director Thomas Homan, the policies for prioritizing immigrant arrests and deportation that were in place during the Obama administration no longer are in effect. Instead, Homan stated, “if you’re in this country illegally and you committed a crime by entering this country, you should be uncomfortable.” Homan has made it clear that immigrants with criminal histories are not a priority, as he seems to consider all immigrants to be criminals for having entered the country without a legal immigration status. It is largely through these collateral arrests that ICE has been able to arrest almost 65,000 immigrants since Trump took office in January. This is more than a 40% increase over the number of arrests that occurred during the same timeframe last year. Nonetheless, the people of California continue to fight ICE agents’ efforts at arresting and detaining immigrants who live in the state. Unlike other states, local and state law enforcement agencies in California do not automatically turn over jail inmates or arrestees who have no legal immigration status to ICE. This makes the job of ICE agents much more difficult and often more dangerous, since they must rely on picking immigrants up in their homes, on the street, and at their workplaces. At Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., we have represented the interests of countless clients who are facing deportation proceedings, but who wish to remain with their families in the United States. Fortunately, there are many remedies that may be available if you are facing deportation charges. We will aggressively investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding your case, and help you settle upon the option that is best calculated to allow you and your family to live where you choose. Contact our experienced deportation defense attorneys today, and learn how we can help.