Years ago, asylum seekers were allowed to apply for work permits immediately after submitting an asylum application, but today, this isn’t the case. The permit you need to work in the U.S. as a non-citizen is called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). If you want to learn more about working in the United States while you’re awaiting your asylum case, keep reading, and we will discuss this below.

Procedures for Working in the U.S.

After you apply for asylum, you will need to wait for 150-days before becoming eligible to apply for an EAD. If you do not know how long your application has been in process, you can check the status online using the U.S. Immigration and Customs Service website. You will put your receipt number in the box provided to learn the status of your asylum case, and if you scroll down, you can see how long USCIS has had your application.

If 150-days has lapsed, you can then submit an application for a work permit. The required forms can be found on the USCIS website and can be done on your own or with the help of an immigration attorney. Once you submit the paperwork, you’ll then wait until you receive the card which, if approved, will make you eligible to work in the United States.

If your asylum case is complete and you have successfully been admitted into the United States, congratulations, you can also seek a work permit through a successful grant of asylum. You’ll also be eligible for an unrestricted social security card which you will have to present to your employer. You should immediately seek a green card lawyer to help you take your next steps in getting permanent placement in the US.

Delays in Getting Work Permits

There is a good chance that you will see a delay in getting a work permit. This is why, the sooner you get your asylum application filed, the better off you will be. There is a significant amount of people seeking asylum in the U.S. which has created an even more substantial backlog in the system then was present before. While the wait periods have not changed, the processing time has. Therefore, if you have been waiting for 150-days and have applied for a work permit with no feedback, you should consider working with an immigration attorney. A lawyer can help you navigate this process and put some additional pressure on immigration to get to your case.

Removal Proceedings and EAD

Those who are in removal proceedings and are appealing that decision can still seek asylum and a work permit. You do not have to appear in front of a judge to make this happen, you just need to have your paperwork stamped at the court so the clock can start ‘ticking’ on your work permit wait time. If you have questions about this, seek the help of a deportation defense lawyer.

Keeping Track of Your Case

The easiest way to stay on top of deadlines, dates, appearances, interviews and your asylum case in general, is to review your claim online continually. At times, your “clock” for waiting on a work permit could stop due to many factors. This can happen without you ever being alerted. So, check on the status on your case and keep track of the days you’ve been waiting.

Need help with your asylum case or Employment Authorization Documents? The law firm of Landerholm Immigration can help you and take the lead on getting you through the process. Please call or call us today so we can get to work immediately on your case.