From long-time legal aid offices to brand new organizations, advocates are banding together to help more noncitizens obtain legal representation and education. The need for help on immigration issues has soared along with the current crackdown on noncitizens. Nationwide, only about 37 percent of immigrants facing removal, and 14 percent of immigrants in detention, are able to secure representation, according to the American Immigration Council.
There are several options to explore to find help.
If you are unable to afford an attorney, you can look for help at one of the following sites:
- U.S. Department of Justice has an online directory here. It includes law offices that may provide free services.
- Immigration Advocates Network has a directory of pro bono lawyers that you can search using you zip code.
- The American Immigrant Representation Project (AIRP) was founded by Shira Scheindlin, a retired federal judge. She is recruiting attorneys from the country’s largest law firms to provide free or low-cost assistance.
- The American Immigration Lawyer Association has an online directory that is more useful if you have the means to pay for legal services
There are many free resources where you can learn more about the U.S. immigration system.
- The Immigration Court Helpdesk (ICH) program educates non-detained immigrants in removal (deportation) proceedings about the court process. ICH is part of the Vera Institute of Justice.
- Immigration Equality is a resource for people in the LGBTQ community
- The TESOL International Association addresses the issues of “Dreamers”, the people affected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA).
Landerholm Immigration A.P.C. is a full-service law firm that can provide you with legal representation and a wealth of informational materials that can help you understand immigration proceedings. You can attend in-person workshops in its Oakland offices once per month. You can find free videos and downloadable materials, as well. Click here for up to date information on the firm’s resources.