If you are an individual living in the U.S. without legal status, there are some circumstances in which you can legally work in the U.S. Unless you have explicit permission under the terms of your visa, or you have obtained a work permit, you cannot work in the U.S. if you are not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident. Depending on your situation, you may be able to get a work permit, or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) that allows you to legally work in the U.S. An EAD card is necessary to prove that a non-citizen is legally eligible to work in the U.S. You do not need to get an EAD if you are a legal permanent resident (green card holder). There are many different types of non-citizen individuals who may apply for an EAD. As a general rule, these types of individuals have a temporary right to be in the country, or are in the midst of applying for adjustment of status, or a green card. These groups include asylees and those seeking asylum, refugees, students seeking certain types of employment, certain individuals who have received Temporary Protected Status (TPS) due to conditions in their home countries, and fiancés and spouses of U.S. citizens. It is also possible to get an EAD if you are the dependent of an individual who falls within certain other categories. Some categories of individuals, however, do not qualify for an EAD, such as tourists and undocumented immigrants who do not fall within one of the categories described above. At Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., we care about you and your family, and want to help you preserve your home in the United States. We focus our law practice solely on deportation defense cases, which allows us to expend all of our efforts in standing up for the rights of those who are facing potential deportation, including those who are seeking asylum. Our California deportation defense lawyers know how to gather persuasive evidence to support your case and we know all of the procedural ins and outs of the U.S. deportation system. Allow us to handle your deportation case by contacting us today to schedule your legal consultation.