The What and Why on Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas

The Immigration and Nationality Act distinguishes between “immigrants” and “non-immigrants.” By legal definition, an “immigrant” is a person who intends to make the U.S. his or her home. They have been granted lawful permanent residence, also known as a green card. In contrast, a “non-immigrant” is only granted permission to stay in the U.S for a temporary period with a specific purpose. This is usually done through various types of visas.

What Are Non-Immigrant Visas?

Non-Immigrant Visas grant permission to non-citizens to stay in the United States for a temporary period of time with a specific purpose. There are many different types of visas available, and each is specific to the individual. Visas are important because they provide proof that a non-citizen has been granted permission to enter the United States. Without this proof, a non-citizen is subject to potential deportation or removal from the United States.

Common examples of visas include:

  • Temporary Visitor visas either for Business or Tourism
  • Student Visas to study here
  • Fiancé(e) visas for fiancé(e)s of US citizens
  • H-visas for high skilled employment
  • U-Visas for victims of a crime.

Need Help With Visas? Call (510) 756-4468 Today!

All immigrants and non-immigrants are considered “Aliens” (the nicer word is “non-citizen” or “foreign national”) and are subject to immigration laws. If any non-citizen commits certain acts or immigration sins, they may be deemed “removable” under the law. If this is your situation, you need the help of an Oakland immigration lawyer. Many people travelling to the United States, regardless of their immigrant or non-immigrant status, seek to remain in the US. If this describes you, contact us at (510) 756-4468 to schedule a free case evaluation at Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C.!

Related Blogs

  • Advice for Undocumented College Students
  • Immigration and Marriage: A Brief Guide to the US Fiancé(e) Visa
  • Victims of Violence and Immigration: What You Need to Know About Qualifying for the? ?U-Visa

Have questions about immigrant or non-immigrant visas? Contact Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C. online or call (510) 756-4468 to set up a free evaluation with our immigration attorneys in Oakland. We are ready to answer your questions!