The goal for many seeking asylum is to live in the United States, without fear and worry, and to create a new life. This idea alone is enough for many to make dangerous cross-country treks to establish this new life. There are other substantial benefits of applying for asylum; however, so we thought we would outline those below.

Connecting with a Refugee Resettlement Agency

At Landerholm Immigration, APC, our law firm has a number of resources in the immigration arena and can potentially help you connect with this type of agency. These groups help refugees with services that will help them establish life-stabilizing resources. While your circumstances will vary, some asylees are eligible to receive money, living assistance, housing and benefits from the government. These groups can assist in applying for certain benefits like food stamps and lead you to helpful resources such as English language classes so you can communicate with more ease in America. Other resources include jobs, training, and healthcare.

Social Security Cards

When seeking asylum, after a waiting period, asylees are eligible to work in the U.S. with a work permit via a Social Security card. This identification will help you when you don’t have a passport or other form of ID. Applying for a Social Security card requires that you go to a Social Security Administration office. Take your asylum grant and processing paperwork with you along with a passport if you have one or some form of ID. You’ll file an SS-5 application, and in return, you’ll be given a receipt that you can use to apply for other benefits while waiting on the actual card.

Driver’s License or State ID Card

Asylees can apply and obtain an ID card or driver’s license from the state you’re residing in. You may have to have a social security card first before doing this, just check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles.

The Green Card

After living as an approved asylee in the U.S. for one year, you may apply for green card status so you can become a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). We encourage you to seek this status as soon as possible after your one-year mark and work with a green card lawyer to successfully navigate through that process.

Apply for U.S. Citizenship

Five years after having a green card, you may apply for U.S. Citizenship which is commonly referred to as the “naturalization” process. To do this, you’ll file an N-400 Application for Naturalization. If you’ve been in the U.S. as an asylee, that one year of time also counts toward applying for Citizenship, so it’s typically more like a four year wait time after winning your green card.

Do you need assistance in applying for asylum, a green card or U.S. Citizenship? Landerholm Immigration would be happy to help you as your asylum attorney with these processes so you can successfully acquire lawful residency here in the United States. We work with asylees and green card seekers every day to support their cases. Contact us today to set up an appointment.