As the number of arrests, detentions, and deportation proceedings continue to rise in 2017, more and more immigrants are looking for ways to avoid deportation. Fortunately, there are a number of different defenses that individuals can raise in their deportation proceedings that may enable them to attain legal status in the U.S. and avoid deportation. One way to avoid deportation is to seek humanitarian relief. For example, asylum may be an avenue of relief if the individual has suffered persecution or has a reasonable fear of future persecution based on the individual’s race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a social group. Some criminal convictions, however, may make you ineligible for asylum. Another option is withholding of removal. This is a form of humanitarian relief similar to asylum, except that you may have an aggravated felony conviction, so long as your sentence of imprisonment was not five years or more. You also must show that there is a threat to your life or freedom as a result of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a political group. Another option to avoid deportation is through adjustment of status, which permits you to get a green card, or legal permanent resident status. The most common way to adjust status is through a U.S. citizen relative, such as a spouse, child who is 21 years or older, or parent. Your U.S. citizen relative must file a family petition on your behalf, and you must prove that you are otherwise admissible to the U.S. This means that you cannot have certain criminal convictions in your background. A third way that you may be able to avoid deportation is cancellation of removal. There are several types of cancellation of removal, depending on your current immigration status. The most common one is for non-permanent residents and it requires a showing of 10 years of continuous physical presence in the United States, 10 years of good moral character, and that you have a US citizen or Permanent Resident spouse, parent or child who would suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship if you were deported. Another very common option is called the U-visa. The U-visa is a visa that may be available if you have been the victim of a certain qualifying crime in the United States and if you have cooperated with law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of that crime. You would also need to show that you suffered substantially as a result of the crime that happened. The above options are just the most common options people have, but there are many others. At Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., we are dedicated to providing you with the essential legal representation that you need in your deportation proceedings. We devote all of our efforts to advocating on behalf of you and your family before the immigration court. Don’t hesitate to contact the Bay Area immigration lawyers of Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., and set up your legal consultation today. We are here to help.