Race-Based Asylum Lawyers in Oakland
Experienced Attorneys Navigating the Asylum Process
If you are currently in the United States and fear persecution in your home country based on your race, you may be eligible to apply for asylum. The asylum process can be complex without an attorney, and many applications without legal guidance are rejected. Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C can assist with this process and ensure that your asylum claims proceed with the United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS).
What Is “Race”?
The concept of “race” can be difficult to define. It is oftentimes considered to be divisions of people based on ancestry, geographic origins, or similar physical attributes. What is important when applying for race-based asylum is not how you categorize your race, but how the understanding of race results in persecution, threats, or infliction of physical, psychological, or economic harm by your government.
You may be eligible for race-based asylum when:
- Harm is threatened based on the perceived membership in a racial group
- Norms or laws of the home country encourage severe racial discrimination that violates human rights
How to Prove Racial Persecution for Asylum Claims
The most important element to prove for asylum is that the perception of race is the main cause of persecution. Asylum may be granted even if you are not individually targeted, but laws and norms violate basic human rights based on race.
To prove racial persecution in your home country:
- Highlight the language used to discuss their perceived race in rules and laws
- Describe the history of the perceived race and how this is used for persecution
- Find news articles and media sources that support racial persecution claims
- File a Form I-589, Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal
- Compile witness testimony and personal experience documentation
United States law surrounding asylum claims can be complicated and difficult to navigate. Retaining an immigration lawyer from Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C can help prepare proof and paperwork highlighting eligibility. Our Oakland asylum lawyers have extensive experience helping immigration clients safely remain in the country, and we can advocate for you during this difficult time.
Request a free evaluation to start the process by reaching out to (510) 756-4468. We serve individuals across the Bay Area.